Grocery shopping is probably the largest source of disposable plastics in the Icelandic home. Here are some ways to reduce our plastic use:
- Bring reusable bags with you when you shop instead of using plastic bags or cardboard boxes.
- Choose products in paper packaging over products in plastic.
- Skip the plastic produce bags or bring your own reusable produce bags from home.
- Choose produce not packaged in plastic.
- Buy in larger quantities when possible if it reduces the ratio of packaging to actual product. At the same time, it’s important to avoid buying more than you need to minimize food waste.
- Choose dairy products packaged in paper instead of plastic.
- Buy from bulk dispensers using your own container when possible. This is becoming an increasingly popular option at a number of stores.
- Bring your own container when buying from ice cream parlors, butchers and fish sellers. Ask that your items be packaged in your own container instead of disposable plastic or aluminum trays.
- Choose fish sellers who package in paper boxes instead of plastic.
- Choose beverages packaged in cartons instead of plastic bottles.
Have something to say? Engage with others in our Plastlaus september discussion groups on Facebook or send us a message over email.